Friday, May 12, 2017

of perfection and salad -- sulla perfezione e l'insalata


I would like to publicly thank my friend Erika who attends my same MBA and does not read this blog but I already thanked her live.

Erika has three grown-up kids, two still in university and one already at work. Successful kids, the kind who likes to study, listen to their parents and probably eat salad even without death threats.

Mothers often lie in order to look good. Their kids are perfect and it’s all thanks to them. I still remember that when my kids were small and linguistically creative because of life abroad, one Italian mother had told me that her 3-year-old kid was already using the subjunctive tense flawlessly. I still have nightmares. My kids to this day have not yet mastered it.

But not Erika. 
She asked me how old my Grumpy Teenager is, put a hand on my arm and said:
“I know, it’s awful. Just hang in there. It will get better.”
So I live in anticipation of “the dawn of the spontaneous salad”.

----------------------------------

Vorrei pubblicamente ringraziare la mia amica Erika che è iscritta al mio stesso MBA e che non sa del mio blog ma tanto l’ho già ringraziata dal vivo.

Erika ha tre figli, due all’università e una già al lavoro. Figli di successo, di quelli studiosi, che ascoltano i genitori e di sicuro mangiano l’insalata anche senza minacce di morte.

Molte madri mentono per fare bella figura. I loro figli sono perfetti ed è tutto merito loro. Mi ricordo ancora che quando i miei figli erano piccoli e linguisticamente meticci a causa della vita all’estero, una mamma italiana mi aveva fatto vergognare dicendomi che suo figlio di tre anni usava perfettamente il congiuntivo. Ho ancora gli incubi. Ai miei scappa ancora adesso l’apocalittico “se sarei”.

Ma Erika invece no. 
Mi ha chiesto quanti anni ha il mio Yeti adolescente, mi ha messo una mano sul braccio e mi ha detto:
“Lo so. È terribile. Tieni duro. Poi passa”.

Aspetto l’alba come al militare. L’alba dell’insalata spontanea.

(pic by me, all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment